US Government's NSF
SiteJabber for Business

Free1040TaxReturn reviews

41 Reviews for Free1040TaxReturn

Review Highlights

Worst customer service I have experienced in years.

Free 1040 Tax Return.com’s phone number is 775 996 5482

1 star
Rating Distribution

▼ Sort by: recent

5/16/14

We filed. Were told to correct a number. Did. Told it didn't work all this time the money for the state return was held and now can't get it returned. No phone number. We are contacting the back.

4/16/14

Doesn't work- I paid fo rsomething that will not work.Am not able to get my taxes
to download evenit tells me my return has been checked and ready to file online.
Thank goodness I don't owe any taxes.
Do I need to redo the taxes on someone's else's site - I still cannot get it filed?

4/11/14

Ruuuuun!!!!! IRS NEEDS TO SHUT THIS SITE DOWN!! Extremely horrible customer service. I accidentally skipped a question about my spouses information and they processed my return even with the required fields not being filled in. The state return was rejected, but the federal went through fine. The spousal information was in the federal section of the return and now I can't complete my state return because there's nowhere to put my spouses information on the state questionnaire. Contacted customer service with no response. They say 24 hour response time, but haven't responded in a week with the tax deadline approaching. Terrible experience!!!

4/7/14

I was charged a resubmission fee for something that was lacking in their instructions. You can't talk to a person and get responses via the site that are useless. My returns have been supposedly submitted but when I try to view them all I get are blank forms!

I'd really like to know why the IRS uses this as one of the sites to direct people to but I intend to get to the bottom of this. I am so mad!f

4/3/14

I am amazed at the long string of negative reviews here. They are unwarranted. I used free1040taxreturn.com to file two federal returns for 2013, one on behalf of a friend and my personal return. The refund of my friend was received via direct deposit. I just filed my return on 4/1/14, not long enough ago to have received my refund. In both cases, I filed for free. So, let me address this point since many of the reviews say it's not free. First, you MUST go to free1040taxreturn.com FROM irs.gov. If you just go directly to free1040taxreturn.com, it will not be free. Assuming you go to free1040taxreturn.com the proper way, you will not be charged to file the federal return. This is true for all the free e-filing services that have an agreement with the IRS; they must be accessed by the taxpayer from irs.gov to create the account on the e-filing website and complete the tax return.

If you identify a state in which you reside and that state requires an income tax return, then free1040taxreturn.com will charge a fee for filing the state return. If you identify your state and you do not want to file your state tax return via free1040taxreturn.com, you might find that the site seems to not let you complete the filing of your federal return; it appears to insist you can't go ahead and file your federal return without paying the fee to file your state return. Here's a trick that works. When prompted to click the drop down box showing a list of states, select "None of the above", the last item on the list. Then, you will be able to file the federal return for free and not be compelled to file a state return. If you had already passed that screen and you had selected a state, go back to that screen and change the selection to "None ...” Of course, if you want to file your state return with them, then simply select your state and proceed.

Another comment in one of the reviews said "YOU CANNOT PRINT YOUR RETURN OR EVEN VIEW WHAT YOU ENTERED!!!" Not true! You can view your tax return on the site and you can save and/or print it; it is a PDF form. Until finally completed and accepted by the IRS, the form(s) will have a watermark to indicate they are not for mailing to the IRS. Once the federal return has been electronically filed and accepted by the IRS, the completed forms will appear on the site without the watermark. Last year, I used FileYourTaxes.com and the only printout I could get after completing the entry of data was a summary sheet showing key data elements such as total income, total deductions, AGI, taxable income, etc., but no tax form could be printed. So, free1040taxreturn.com is better in this regard. In addition to viewing and/or printing forms on free1040taxreturn.com, you can always go back through the screens and review data you entered. When you sign on to a previously started session, you have the option starting where you left off or starting at the beginning and going through the screens again. The reviewer that made the comment quoted at the beginning of this paragraph obviously was not very adept at navigating the site.

2/27/14

They did the Fed return OK and filed that. I was charged extra for the State return, they combined estimate payments with 1099 w/h which is not allowed on the state form. I got a letter from the state saying that was a no-no. I responded to the Free1040 customer service, they took no responsibility for their error. They in effect said I entered it incorrectly. What a bunch of BS. You can't incorrectly enter 1099 and estimates incorrectly on their screen, They are afraid of their own failures. A bunch on nit-wits in their customer service.

2/26/14

Like the others, we had a very bad experience with Free1040taxreturn.com. The federal income tax site was fine and there were no problems with filling out the form. The state tax site was a disaster. It kept glitching; I kept sending messages; they kept sending back what appeared to be a stock, computer-generated answer that didn't answer the question. I kept telling them there was a problem; they kept telling me it was my fault and that I wasn't reading the screen correctly. That wasn't the case. I finally thought that I would get the information I needed (whether we would get a refund or not), after I paid them. So, I paid them, they sent it off to the state and THEN I could see that the form was incorrect. We had to send in an amended form. Terrible customer service and terrible for state taxes. I will never deal with this company again.

2/24/14

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!!
I filed my return, saved a copy and waited and waited....no refund yet. So today I went back to their website to check my status and it stated that the IRS had accepted my return but no refund was due. When I viewed the form the numbers were nowhere near what I had entered and submitted and the form was a 1040EZ when I filed a 1040A. The only answer I get from customer service is "the form shows what you submitted and the system does not change information after the fact". I tried asking again and got the same answer. Looks like I will have to file an amended paper return and wait even longer. What a ripoff!!!!!

2/24/14

Theee worst! I am furious with the irs for making me use them!!! Rip off! Charges a fee which changes if you refresh the page! Some paid as little as 15$ and others paid more! They claimed my fee was returned but my bank said it was reversed on their behalf! I am just disgusted with their lack of customer service!

2/9/14

NOT SURE IF ITS BECAUSE THIS SITE IS WHY MY RETURN IS TAKING SO LONG BUT EVERYONE THAT DID THEIR TAXES AT THE SAME TIME OR AFTER ME IS GETTING THEIRS AND MINE IS STILL PENDING ITS BEEN A GOOD TWO WEEKS WTF I WILL NEVER GO THREW THIS SITE AGAIN!!!

2/3/14

If it were possible to give this site zero stars I would. DO NOT USE!!! They do not offer free services nor do they offer support. They answer your questions with one sentenced smart ass replies that only leave you with more questions. Please advise everyone you know not to use this site. Its the worst mistake you could use during tax season.

7/25/13

SAme as everyone else..it's the worst site you could possibly use..this was my first year to use it, what a mistake..everyone should call IRS or write to them and get it off their website for free tax returns...

7/23/13

Do not use this website!!! I thought everything was going well until the date my refund was due to be deposited into my account came and went. Now, the IRS is saying they are mailing my refund although I clearly chose to have it electronically deposited. I thought maybe (but doubtful) that I chose to have it mailed so I went back to the free1040taxreturn.com website to review and print my return and YOU CANNOT PRINT YOUR RETURN OR EVEN VIEW WHAT YOU ENTERED!!! OMG WHAT A NIGHTMARE. Now, I am in limbo not having access to my already filed return and not knowing if I will ever get my refund or even be able to print it out. BEWARE, BEWARE, BEWARE!!!

5/23/13

I just wrote a page-long review so I will keep this short. They say they are free - not true. They say they have support - their responses give you snarky comments that still does not answer your questions. They say my return has been rejected by the IRS - they charged me more because they had to resubmit my returns- I have always done my own taxes (and will in the future) and never had these issues. In summary - this company is making lots of money they did not earn. This has been an ordeal for me and other people and something should be done to put them out of business.

5/21/13

The site has FREE plastered all over their face page, where one is to choose which return. You enter the sight, give them your valuable private info (SS#, name, adr, PIN for returns plus the other number that the IRS issues, then you start the return. The return itself isn't the worst I've seen but one gets all the way to the end, and you select "file return" and the next page shows a range of prices, the two main ones, for Fed. and State returns are $49.95 and $24.95, respectively. So if you don't want to pay those "FREE" prices, don't even start the return. I tried it out of curiosity since I know how TurboTax works so thought I'd compare one of the lesser known companies: thus free1040taxreturn.com.

After finding I'd have to pay, I went back looking for "my mistake" -- because, surely this couldn't be correct -- having to pay for a FREE return! No mistake and, more importantly at this point, NO WAY OUT unless you want to just save so you can leave the site and return for more punishing nonsense.

Some of you have given some good information; the posts are from 2010-11, though, and I didn't see any info on the whois.com data, where site registrars give all the information on the domain owner. Here's the website, in case anyone wants a shortcut to know who this CROOK is:
It will show all that's known about the domain. This is what's shown for both Administrative and Technical Contact:
Wayne, Donavon email@free1040taxreturn.com
FreeTaxReturn.com, INC
50 West Liberty Street Suite 880
Reno, Nevada 89501
United States
+1.7759965482

Can anyone say CLASS ACTION SUIT??
At the very least they should be reported to the IRS, but since I'm writing this on 5/21/13 -- a couple weeks following the big IRS scandal, we are likely small pests to them good for only stomping on to vent their rage at being caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

I'm glad that people took the time to provide these warnings to others.

4/23/13

I too wish I'd researched with a simple google search. Uggghh. We've handed over our personal information to them on a silver platter - and our return has been rejected twice. I have NEVER had my return rejected so I seriously doubt it was user error - given I'm not the only one. Now it's 8 days past the tax deadline, I'm frustrated and have to sit down to do my taxes all over again to avoid having to pay a free for resubmission. DO NOT USE THIS WEBSITE. Just because they're listed on the IRS efile page doesn't mean their legit.

2/11/13

Just my luck to pick the bad apple--but I trusted the IRS to do at least a minimum of due diligence before they listed it! I understood that there would be a preparation fee, and only the e-filing would be free, but weeks later they told me my payment had been returned by the bank and I owed them $35 more for returned payment fees. Though I doubted my bank had been 'unable to find my account' as they said, I paid it, only to be informed that the IRS had rejected my return on "20/30/0203" because my AGI from my 2011 return was wrong. That was as hard to swallow as the 'cant find my account' story. And why trust my taxes to a firm that can't print a simple calendar date? I went to Wal-Mart, got some H&R Block software, and did my taxes with them. Bigger refund, and my return was accepted by the IRS within hours. I would never have used free1040taxreturn.com if I had read these reviews first. Live and learn!

2/5/13

OMG,i wish i would have read all the reviews before i do the tax return, i use them last year and apart from them taking too long to send back status they was fine, but this year, very upset, they are a scammer, frauder, every negative out there on the books.They advertise on the website for free and when you do your return they charge you, i try to contact customer service three times and the rep is telling me that they are not listed, i told her i am looking at their website on the irs.gov under the free company, i call their number 775-996-5482 and you only get a voicemail, i left one anyway, still awaiting an answer, bad company will never use again

4/10/12

They advertise as a free online system to file your taxes, they even got the IRS to advertise them as free. However, once you are done filling all the forms they ask you for a payment. Otherwise they do not file your taxes. Additionally, their questionaires to fill the forms are horrible. I know that i qualify for a tax exemption treaty, but free1040TaxReturns did not even give me the option to claim it. NEVER WILL USE IT AGAIN. The only thing missing is that they sell my email to some spam company.

3/15/12

After waiting a week, I received an Email advising the IRS rejected my return. This was only after I had opted not to have them file my state return for an additional 29.95. It took me 2 days to translate their instructions to back out of state filing even though my initial selection was not to have my state return filed by them.Their so called step by step processes can be confusing and do not follow in the order of the 1040 form.

11/2/11

I wish I had read everyone's reviews on this site before I filed my taxes through them. I normally file with H&R Block but my life is more financially complex & I didn't want to pay a bunch of service fees. Just like the others, I assumed that if the IRS was linking to a tax return website that it would be a safe & secure site. I filed my taxes with free1040taxreturn.com the day taxes were due. I got emails saying my tax return was successfully filed and that the IRS had accepted my return. I happened to owe the IRS money this year so when I filed I entered my account information when prompted. I never had any issues in the past with H & R Block so I honestly didn't give my experience with free1040taxreturn.com any further thought. Stupid me. A couple months later in June, I got an email saying my tax return was rejected by the IRS and that I should log in and fix whatever I did wrong. This is part of the question I sent to "support & contact us":

´╗┐Subject: Rejected or Accepted
Why is it that my Tax Return shows that it was accepted on your website but I just got an email saying that my husband has not corrected and resubmitted his return?

This is probably because he registered under his ssn with another return which did not get completed because he is listed as the spouse on this return.

I don't even know who wrote this response to me but it's a bunch of nonsense. I've filed our taxes jointly the last few years with no issue and the answer I received seems to have been written without any thought. After I received this response, I got another email in October saying my tax return was accepted by the IRS and the money I owed was withdrawn that same day from this site. Ok fine, I thought. This has finally fixed itself. I was wrong! I just got a statement from the IRS dated 11/1/11 saying that I owe them the full amount plus a non-payment penalty! WTF?! I wrote another message to "support & contact us" asking where my money is if it's not in my account and the IRS doesn't have it but I'm still waiting to hear back from someone.

I honestly feel like I've been scammed. And by an IRS recommended site no less! If I had known that I'd have so many issues with this site I would have paid the $60 in service fees and kept my information with H & R Block! I'm appalled and extremely frustrated that this company takes so much personal information and they don't even offer a real person for us to speak to if we have any problems. This company with mystery people behind it now has my personal information, my bank account info AND money from my account and yet the IRS somehow has nothing from me. Total and utter B.S! STAY AWAY FROM free1040taxreturn.com!!!

5/6/11

These folks are simply frauds and possibly thieves. My federal was not filed, and meanwhile they have my information... WTF!

4/18/11

How sad that complaints about this company go back to 2009??? And they are still in business and a recommended e-file site from the IRS???
I too filed with them but was lucky I did not give my credit card info, because filing online should be free if you make under $50,000 per year, according to the freaking IRS.
Anyway, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.
I'll be filing my taxes through the mail for back up.

4/16/11

A PROFESSIONAL REVIEWER RATES THIS SITE AS FOLLOWS:

. Other Free File Programs
FileYourTaxes: Interview-style software interface has screen after screen of long questions to answer. This quickly felt very tiring.
average1040: I'm suspicious that they force users to input their bank account information.

I UNFORTUNATELY READ HIS AND ALL THESE OTHER REVIEWS TOO LATE. I ALSO THOUGHT AN IRS RECOMMENDED SITE WOULD BE FINE. I WAS UNABLE TO FILE MY STATE TAXES AT ALL. IT TELLS YOU TO CLICK ON "STATE" BOX, ANSWER SEVERAL MORE QUESTIONS AND YOUR STATE TAXES WILL BE DONE. I THOUGHT, GREAT! BUT SAID QUESTIONS DO NOT APPEAR. ALL I GOT WAS A SCREEN CONGRATULATING ME THAT MY 1040 IS COMPLETE. I GO TO THEIR HELP SECTION TO INQUIRE, AND IT SAYS THAT MY ANSWER WILL APPEAR IN SOME ANSWER SECTION TO THE RIGHT, BUT THERE IS NO ANSWER SECTION TO THE RIGHT THAT I CAN ASCERTAIN. SO I SIT THERE FOR 50 MINUTES WAITING FOR MY ANSWER TO APPEAR SOMEWHERE ON THE SCREEN, BUT IT NEVER DOES. I THEN LOOK FOR A 'HOME' BUTTON, BUT THERE IS NO WAY TO GET BACK TO THEIR MAIN SCREEN. NOW I'M VERY SUSPICIOUS. I'M CONTACTING MY BANK AND THE IRS (though fruitless evidently). THANKS SO MUCH TO THE OTHERS FOR WRITING IN.

4/12/11

All I want is a copy of my prior years taxes which they say or Carmen says they do not keep any records, and to contact the IRS. But if you go to the site it reads:

Safe, Secure and available to you 24 hours a day 7 days a week , that's our guarantee to you. Our online storage facility is regularly tested and audited by ControlScan to assure the safety and security of all your personal data. You can revise, read or print your return 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Your tax returns will be stored safely and securely for 3 years.

I have sent them numerous emails but it seems that only CARMEN can answer any of them, boy she must be tired since she must work 24/7. No one can give me an answer other than "Contact the IRS"

DO NOT USE THIS SITE!!!!!!

4/6/11

Same as others......

Following email sent to the US Treasury Deprtment. Suggest you all do the same.
Sent to Complaints@tigta.treas.gov
*********************************************************************************
To whom it may concern:

As you see from these comments http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.free1040taxreturn.com

This is a fraudulent site supposedly used for 1040 tax form submissions and I suspect also identity theft. I submitted my daughter's tax information which includes her SSN and was charged a $40.00 fee for 1040 federal and state tax forms.

I did not rec'v the completed forms and when I call the company the mailbox is full. I would suggest the Treasury Department IRS investigate this Reno NV based company.

Free 1040 Tax Return.com's phone number is 775 996 5482

3/31/11

terrible site, navigating website is trouble & raises red flags from the get go. Tried to re-do my federal for the same year & it hit me up with a $40 charge. I deleted my account & tomorrow I will be changing my Checking acct numbers just to be safe.

3/5/11

Run from this website. Don't walk.....RUN!! Try to phone them; try to email them; good luck.....no one is home!! And having tried their free 1040 tax program....it doesn't work very well. RUN! RUN! RUN!

2/24/11

I can't believe the IRS has a link for this shoddy website.They sure did take the money quickly enough. Now no response to their supposed 'contact' button. I only get messages with sql errors.

2/17/11

This site is horrible. I really don't know if my taxes have been filed or if the site is really a scam. All I know is I am locked out of my account and there is no Customer Service whatsoever.

2/8/11

This site will give you nightmares. It WAS NOT free. I had a very simple return to file as we are retired. I had to use the 1040 form to claim a slot win in CT where they took out taxes. On this form, we had Social Security income, the slot income and two weeks worth of unemployment pay. For this, they charged us $40.00. I have tried to get back on the site to get a copy of our return, but can not log in. They have no phone number to call, yet they claim 24 hour service. This site is a rip-off that is a link provided by our government. More of the "change" we were expecting?

2/7/11

This site is horrible!!! I was first told (one week after submitting) that my return was accepted by the IRS. I continuously checked and 2 1/2 weeks out still received the same message. I checked again 3 days later (3 weeks total now) that my return was rejected by the IRS THE DAY AFTER I INITIALLY SUBMITTED IT!!

I would steer clear of this site and I am actually hoping this site is not just another scam to get personal information because they've got it all and have done nothing for me except delay my receipt of funds I need to pay my bills. I now have to start the whole filing process all over again.

THE IRS SHOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS SITE AND NO ONE EXPECTING THEIR RETURN TO BE DONE CORRECTLY SHOULD USE IT!

2/1/11

This is the worst site I have ever used. Every comment I have read so far on this site is true! I filed my sons federal tax return and I can't get back in it to see where his state refund is at. No one is responding to my messages that I have sent and no phone # listed to call anyone. When I tried calling the IRS they were no help either.

2/1/11

Terrible! Do Not Use! Since this was a link from the IRS.gov website I assumed it would be reliable. I was wrong.

I went through the process and logged off.A few minutes later, for no reason, I went back on, or tried to. I could not log on, they led me on wild goosechase to get my password or id, claiming that that is why I couldn't log on. When they "gave" me my password it was blank. No phone number, no way to contact them. Terrible.

1/27/11

BEWARE! Do not use this site for anything! I have been having problems from the beginning to the end with this site. The software is not user friendly and is hard to interpet. You cannot print your tax forms. They will not respond to your emails or messages and you cannot Log back into to your account. Totally disappointed with this site. It has to be the worst tax site there is. And what is really scary is that the IRS has this site listed on their web page!

1/23/11

This is one of the sites listed on the IRS website. Worst customer service I have experienced in years. Carmen seems to be the only one responding to your questions and she rarely has any concrete answers for you. I highly recommend using another site for filng. In my opinion the IRS and your State should have free filing sites why pay for something they should be providing us for free. I filed my federal return on Jan 14th through free1040taxreturn.com and it went through to the IRS just fine but for a week Carmen at contact us has had nothing but excuses about the site's pdf system being down so you cannot print a hard copy of your return. This has to be the worst site out there. Before you use this site I recommend paper filing. The site does allow you to do your returns but beware free 1040 even after clciking no to filing the state did not register as no and charged me anyway on top of printing problems. Today is Sunday, Jan. 23, 2011 and still no PDF printing.

7/15/10

You can't log back in to print out your taxes if you need to in the future. I logged back in to print after buying a new printer cartridge, buy not all of my forms were available...most importantly the 1040 ez. This made my life miserable when I went to apply for my student loans. I emailed their customer service "tax questions" area over and over again until my forms magically showed back up after about 15 complaints. They never emailed me back or called to apologize or acknowledge that they were at fault.

After reading other's complaints online, I decided the next year to try to login to see if I could access my forms since I now suspected the site to be a scam. I typed in my social security number and password. The system didn't recognize my information, which I thought was weird since I just filed the year before. Then somehow after navigating here and there on the site I was able to find the files to print. Very strange. All I can say is that the website isn't put together that great and doesn't have a logical flow.

5/7/10

This is the worst "free" file site I have ever used. Customer service only provides generic answers, there is no email address to contact them, no phone number, nothing! They charge 39.00 bucks to file state taxes, and hardly ever update their site! There were server errors, the site was not in operation for several days, it pretty much sucks! The software is NOT user friendly and difficult to interpet. I filed complaints against them with the BBB and am awaiting a reply, which I am sure will never happen. DON'T USE THIS SITE for your taxes!

4/14/10

Extremely dissapointed in the function of software. Difficult to use and when I went back to check status of return, kept recieving message "no account exists for this SSN". Managed somehow to get back to my account, onl;y find both federal and state returns were rejected due to lack of proper e-signature, even though I followed directions for getting PIN. I tried logging in again to revise return, but could not. No phone number nor could I use their email account since I could not log in. I was charged $39.95 on my credit card for the State return and could not file. I did print out the return which was not on a form, so I had to manually transcribe to paper forms and file both Fed and State through the mail 1 day before tax deadline. This site should be investigated and those responsible prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

2/16/10

I filed my brother's tax return in January since it was a simple return. The IRS did not receive it. You cannot call them and even though it says free customer service, there is a section that states you have to pay to speak to someone. Maybe they never filed it because I did not pay to file the state return with them. He received his refund from the State already. They will not respond to emails either. Will never use them again.

2/23/09

free1040taxreturn.com is a BIG ripoff-DON'T USE IT!!! - First, it's not FREE...nothing on it is free so the web name is totally fradulent.  They charged my debit card for $24.95, unauthorized!!!  When I sent an email to inquire...they said it was for "audit protection"...when I try to go into their site and enter all my info for a refund, I keep getting emails back that says I didn't state the reason...totally bogus. (I have kept a copy of these emails for proof)  I also entered everything for my federal and state returns...but they never filed my state taxes...they said it was because I didn't file both at the same time...that is incorrect (their software is poorly written by the way).  I asked SEVERAL times for a refund for my state...can't seem to get a straight answer.  They also won't send emails to my email account (so they can't be detected)...you have to login to their site...no phone numbers or live people are available.  DON'T USE THIS SITE FOR YOUR TAXES!!
Debbie Shelton, Dana Point, CA