US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

dianeh

I got several gift cards for only a couple of bids each. (in 17 reviews)

jamaw

Eventually they closed their doors and another penny auction site is honoring bids. (in 19 reviews)

darlener

My total cost for the item- $131.92 - 138 bids which at $0.75 per bid is $103.50. (in 73 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

la555
3/24/11

I have seen the many reviews i feel sorry for the people that lost there money and minds. the BBB reports 65 complaints on this , LLC which means limit liability , so beware when it is dealing with money this should be incorporated , BBB also reports that they have not resolved any of the complaints, , The economy is terrible and this company was created on 4/27/2009 @ the start of the economic breakdown, they have to make it look good and make someone win to get your attention, With dealing with people on a everyday basis, and even talked to people who have been scammed by Business like this , It makes me go insane that they are getting away with highway robbery, And if the owners are reading this you might want to check out your business status @ the State of Delaware, It is public information

maxiner1
3/24/11

Thanks everybody for saving me from ALMOST getting scammed. Bidcactus is pure evil. Why is it running? Why hasnt it been stopped? And why isnt someone in jail?

trishao1
3/20/11

Ripoff!
Bids cost $0.75 each and are available in packs of 30, 50, 100, 150, and 250 bids. So each of your "penny" bids is costing you .75 cents each. Stay away from this site unless you like throwing your money away.

edwardm6
3/20/11

While bidcactus seems legit, I have been bidding on it for over 2 years now, and have seen it go from legit to a scam site . I won relatvely regularly at first, then less often,to now not at all. Prizes end up costing way more then they are worth and I am convinced they have gone to house bidders driving up the price! Don't waste your time or money, trust me I've followed this site a long time, you will lose your money!

sarahm10
3/9/11

I called the site and asked them policy questions and received many defensive responses. They denied that bots were being used and clearly that is a lie. They denied that there is shill bidding yet I believe that they promote and fund it. They stand behind an audit but I wonder if they would submit to a newer one or one for specific auctions. There are more questions than answers.

markg11
2/27/11

Run, as fast as you can, and don't look back.

kimn6
2/18/11

I consider myself among the lucky because I did not lose any money on this site. I read the reviews here before I registered and bid... The reason I am reviewing a site I never actually bidded on, but did visit and watch for a bit is:
I put an ad on Craigslist and got a response telling me they wanted to trade. The guy told me he owned this website and that he wanted me to bid on an item and he would give it to me. He gave me a promo code for 10 free bids, and asked me to register, he told me some people thought it was addicting, he probably hoped I would as well. Or maybe they just want some fresh blood and new screen names to appear on their site.
This seems like a scammers way of advertising and I feel he would have not given me anything or taken my junk off my hands... I am reporting this guy to Criagslist as well. I hope they get shut down...
The scammers are smart, but I am smarter.

ameshc
2/2/11

Impossible to win any bid.
Same people keep on winning multiple bids.
Don't waste time and money.

joec10
1/27/11

I read an bogus article claiming great this site was compared to other (quote) penny auctions sites. The reporter claimed she won a TV and other big ticket items, but that's hardly what comes up. It's most self perpetuating "bid boxes" that keep you playing. In the end it's a big scam. Stay clear of BidCactus. You are better off hitting a the slot machines at the nearest casino no matter how far it is...at least, you'll come away with one or two free drinks.

gbb
1/21/11

Lots of nice items, though have not won anything yet. Do feel they have bots and don't feel that's fair.

rogery1
1/16/11

I hope you guys all know that this site, bidcactus, is affiliated with Jumbocloseouts.com, which is another penny auction site that scammed a lot of people out of their money. They are currently in the process of being shut down.., yay! Read all the scam reviews on jumbocloseouts.com and see all the similarities that bidcactus.com has in common. YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WARNED, SO STAY AWAY FROM THIS SITE OR YOU WILL GET BURNED!!

johny4
1/11/11

My experience on Bidcactus was basically consistent with the majority on here, but I'm not convinced that there are Bid Bots. Clearly it is gambling and clearly there are a handful of users (screen names) that win the majority of items. Yes they sometimes do pay outragious over-bids (bidding 240 times at $.75 each time to win 100 bids back essentially paying $180 to win back $75). The question is, are there a handful of "PRO's" who drive up the price to intimidate others and reduce competition of future auction bids or is the site creating BidBots to defraud consumers. I did win some smaller auctions but ultimately flushed about $150 down the toilet (the majority of which was prior to spending several hours observing the action). I participated in appx. 10 different auctions and observed close to 100. I'd say about 10% of the auctions are driven to 2x and even 3x the actual value of the item however about 70% of the time, the winner of the auction appears to save about 50-60% from retail. I watched someone (presumably a real person) win an Apple Ipad today for $6.81 (which equals 681 bids of which no more than half could have been placed by the winner - conservatively 340 bids for a grand total of $261.81). In conclusion, if your willing to take a chance, do your homework! Observe the action, find out where the site is based out of, continue reading reviews, but keep an open mind.

terric3
1/4/11

This site is the real deal. You can win awesome prizes with modest shipping charges and real speedy shipping. The smart bidder will watch the bidding for a day to watch for big bidders who are tough to beat. Then buy a bid pack and focus on one auction at a time. I will continue to use this site.

berniej
12/17/10

I purchased a minimum $22.50 of bids today. The site is organized so it is almost impossible to win! As soon as you are the high bidder... say with 2 seconds to go... they revise the clock to about 25 seconds to go... causing all the bidders repetitive bidding for nothing! This is a total Scam!

shannona
12/13/10

After careful review and reading..this is not a site you want to purchase from. What is even more astounding is that they have a BBB logo. Guys don't waste your time and money and if you have been scammed please contact the BBB since they can help to resolve this and maybe recover some of your lost funds the BBB is on the net and can only help you if you let them know what is going on. Srry guys I had high hopes too.

bradn1
12/12/10

It's a scam!!!! Stay away! I just tried three different auctions and all three times the same thing happened! Each time there was one bidder who would instantly re-bid as soon as a new bid was submitted instead of waiting for the clock to get close to the end, which is the obvious way to go! Once they have gotten a few hundred bids or so the auction ends early and that person won each time! This happened on all three items I bid on! It was a complete waste of $75! Just stay away and save your money! They obviously have either people or programs bidding at the same time as you, and once they've gotten enough money they win their own auction!

chrisj8
12/5/10

I won (surprise, surprise) one "beginner entry". After that, I too had a "gone", my bid was last, and I also did not win. Thank goodness I got this site out of my system before I lost TOO much. As the old saying goes..."CAVEAT EMPTOR'---buyer beware!!!

phinof
12/3/10

The only valid complaint I have read that I think can be possible is bidding bots, other than that, there are usually 3 types of people that gain or lose in this site. The Website wins 99% of the time, The Winner Wins 98% of the time, the loser losses 100% of the time, now let me explain.

The website has to make money, and it makes money by people like most people here, just plain losing. the website makes money from people using their bids, i figure this is no more than a gambling experience. Not a scam, if it is a scam, it's no more of a scam than a slot machine. except unlike a slot machine, someone is guaranteed to win.

The Winner, they win by buying the item for a much lesser price than normal. Except for those 2% of people who don't do the math, and over bid on the item, waisting their money.

The loser, this is how the site makes money. people lose, and thats how any gambling experience will work. 1 wins, many loses, and the house makes money. Just because you would lose at Poker every time doesn't mean it is a scam, it means some one ells is better than you, or just got lucky. While the winner gets more money than the walked in with poker, the losers walk out mad.

Does anyone here complaining see what I mean? like someone previously here stated, this is basically gambling, if your not a gambler, don't play.
If you want to win, use the tips people give, like play when there is low traffic, only bid on begginer bids. bid smartly, do the math, let people have their bidding wars than bid your own while hopefully the others are weak.
your not going to go to the casino and spend 100$ with no strategy or limit and expect to come out with more money, unless your a fool.
People get lucky yes, just as i seen on bid cactus someone win a 50$ gift card for 06 cents because me and 4 other people we're expecting someone ells to bid after they placed their bid.
And with strategies, your not going to win all of the time. Your just going to higher your chances.

Like i said before, I don't think this website is a scam (unless they got bidbots) but it's just like gambling, and you will both win and lose like gambling. I know people who never won at slots, i personally only played about 5 times, and I am up 80$ in slots, while many people lost hundreds, and some times thousands to slots.
Doesn't mean it's a scam,
So basically, this website takes 3 things...
1-Strategy
2-Limits
3-Luck
Other than that, If you don't like gambling I suggest you do some thing ells for money, so you can have more extra money for things you want, or play an easier less skill needed game like bingo (which is also fun, but like this website, hundred will lose each round, and only 1 person will win... typically)

If you lost money, than think of it less like a scam, and more like taking you and as many people (what ever adds up to how much you lost) to a horrible movie that you walked out on. So horrible of a movie that you're more mad that you wasted your time than your money and you don't know why producers allow these movies to even be made.

So yeah, have fun and enjoy life, don't gamble anything you may need (including money).

christys
11/30/10

What a JOKE! I was just taken for $75!! Shame on me for not going with my gut....If it sounds too good to be true, IT IS! Everytime you place a bid, more time is added to the clock for someone or let's face it...(the computer ) to outbid you. If there was a time limit that you knew buyers had to bid buy, you might actually have a chance to win. The way this is set up, I doubt anyone is actually winning except the computer and maybe the site owners!!!! TOTAL RIPOFF! I can't believe they haven't been shut down!

alexandrag1
10/11/10

With hundreds of complaints on multiple sites http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/bidcactus-c239430.html, Bidcactus.com has to be one of the biggest and most proliferated auction scams in existence today. Upon Closer review and examination it has been determined that Bidcactus.com is indeed utilizing the 7 dollar swoopo clone script that was readily available from ebay.com. That script has, an autobidder built in to bid against flesh and blood players so anyone bidding on bidcactus.com is actually bidding against the computer. This would only make sense as there are hundreds if not thousands of complaints littered across the web attesting to this fact, from people spending hundreds of dollars and couldn't even win a curling iron to savvy bidders who quickly realized, something just wasn't right with the auctions being operated by bidcactus.com. We would warn any and all bidders to steer clear of this site and if anyone tells you that it is because of the amount of traffic to the site as to why it is difficult to win, they are just flat out lieing to you. You can't win because there is an autobidder installed in there script, it is common knowledge in the auction community and it is not disclosed anywhere on there site. Bidcactus is about as dishonest as they come and anyone who supports them is in league with them and this is a fact.

steves22
10/10/10

complete scam, highway robbery, do not bid.

shirleym1
9/27/10

Whoever is going to read this!!!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about them!!! I was just about to buy bids and I lost the website by mistake so a google search found it for me and the next few links under showed these reviews I am so happy I didn't buy any bids.

THANK YOU!!! ------>

FOR EVERYONE WHO GOT SCAMMED BY "BIDCACTUS.COM" GO TO THE "BBB" WEBSITE AND FILE AN ONLINE COMPLAINT, RIGHT NOW THE SCORE THEY HAVE WITH "BBB" IS AN A- LETS CHANGE THAT!!!
Better Business Bureau

carolw4
9/13/10

Yet another scam. I even thought with them being registered with the Better Business Bureau (so they claim) this site would be better than Swipe Auctions and all of those other low class penny auction sites. After reading the reviews here and then watching how the bidding was going on their website, I thought - HECK NO! Example: 500 bid pack goes for $.45 - yet a 30 bid pack goes for $3.45? Really? Then the same people seem to win all the time. Also, they had a Kitchen Aid mixer that went for $3.85?? What?? Does that mean, if I had bid on that mixer a bidding war would have taken place? Too weird and very fishy. This is by far the most dishonest site I've ever seen. I will def contact the Better Business Bureau.

jenp1
9/6/10

Well I signed up for a free acount and have been watching for a couple of days to see how the bidding works. They have mailed me numerous coupons to entice me to buy some bids. I didnt fall for it and I guess as their last ditch effort they sent me 5 free bids so I thought I would check it out again. I totally believe this site scams BAD! I noticed the same names numerous times bidding on different things but at the same time? If that doesnt raise a caution flag I don't know..... I have decided to stay away from this site!

stacyc
7/25/10

Well I am very sad to say I have the big STUPID stamp on my head over this sight! I am not one who usually does anything like this sight but when I saw it on the news I looked into it. I spent 37.50 for 50 bids. I bid and received nothing.....i didnt bid on big things or drop into the bid wars ~ (like it was suggested). I called customer service and they told me I needed to have 100 bids so (stupid stamp here I come!) I paid 75.00 for 100 bids. And wow still NOTHING. so now 112.50 later nothing! I looked into the company and found out they have some lawsuits pending on FRAUD. Their own empoyees are coming forward stating they are using COMPANY BIDDERS TO OUTBID US! Yes I would say that was fraud!

I myself have made a formal complaint to the Federal Trade Commission or FTC and the National Consumers League's Fraud Center. Doing this may not get your money back but it will make people look into the business. With luck the will be shut down or be forced to change there ways! I did file a complaint with the company but they have not responded....big surprise!

Don't be fooled by the BBB. They have only been with the BBB or Better Business Bureau since April 30, 2010. They only have 23 complaints on file! IF YOU DONT TELL THEM THEY WONT KNOW!!!!! If no one complains to them then they won't have a bad record! Most people get mad write a review but never follow up with the reports! Oh and one more little note about the BBB ~ Bidcactus PAY BBB to stay on that report also!!!!!
The reports/complaints are what work! YES its a little work but its worth it to get them to STOP CHEATing us!

BBB's own words!

"BBB Rating for Bidcactus, LLC
Based on BBB files, Bidcactus, LLC has a BBB Rating of A- on a scale from A+ to F.
Reasons for this rating include:
•Length of time business has been operating. "

Like I said before IF YOU DONT TELL THEM THEY WONT KNOW.....and IF THEY DONT KNOW THEY CANT HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I am the stupid one for falling for the FRAUD, ITS STILL WRONG!

...........and for those who won good for you.......you were able to fall through the holes of there FRAUD NET!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! GOOD LUCK!

helpful sites TO BE HEARD!!
customersupport@bidcactus.com (good luck with this one!)
www.ftc.com
www.fraud.org

and.......(straight from the BBB website)

""The BBB that will handle your complaint is:
BBB of Connecticut
(Wallingford, CT)
94 South Turnpike Road
Wallingford, CT 06492-4322
Phone: (203)269-2700
Fax: (203)294-6882
Email: info@ct.bbb.org
Web: http://www.connecticut.bbb.org

You may wish to copy or print this information for further reference.
All correspondence about your complaint will come from and should be addressed to this BBB."

Hope this helps!!!!

jcl
7/15/10

RUN! This is one of the BIGGEST RIP-OFFS yet!! No where else do you have to buy your bids and are then charged for each bid you make all the while each bid increases the time available to bid on an item. Just one more way to steal from the ever increasing indigent American people.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS SITE!!!

And I urge any and all of you out there unfortunate enough to have landed on this site and lost money to wipe them off the internet. Enough is enough!

toddd
6/16/10

HI! WOW! SO I am not the only one. Started on Bidcactus two days ago and have also done a lot of observing in the last few days. It appears to me that there are 4 or 5 people that are "winning" most of all of the items...many times spending a lot more than the items are actually worth. I waited till about 3 in the morning and started trying to bid on a $50 gift card that was sitting at a penny till a few seconds left. The high bidder then started bidding in return as soon as I placed a bid...sometimes reacting faster to my bids than seems possible. I am definitely going to try and get my money back as I believe this is a SCAM! A a few of you mentioned that they have a policy of not being able to win but one in 24 hours. Is this true??? I ask because again I noticed that those 4 or 5 people that were winning most of the auctions had several wins within HOURS!

larrym3
5/9/10

What they don't tell is that every time you bid the auction is extended for 10 more seconds. They also don't tell you that the bidding history only shows the last ten bids so that you think the bidders had an easy and cheap win. They should be up

mikes13
4/21/10

SCAM SCAM SCAM This site is one of the worst scams I have ever witnessed - the few people on here summed it up best - they have to have fake shill bidders on there or bot bidders who just swindle the real people. I saw one moron pay close to $350 dollars for $100 toys r us gift card!!! Total waste of $39.99 and when you realize youve been had and want a refund? No dice, they don't give refunds. This site needs to be SHUT DOWN, and the crooks who run it need to be dealt with legally, because in my opinion this is very clever cyber THEFT.....

jenniferm3
3/25/10

It may sound like a good thing in the beginning, but once you start playing you will find it is not very easy to win and you can very quickly burn up a lot of money. Basically the same as gambling.

maryg5
3/25/10

biggest ripoff in the world.

howards
3/15/10

So I think I have it figured out if you want to use this site keep a close eye on obvious repeat names. Watch these names they drive the price up so that bid cactus can make money. However, if the bid goes off under the profitable mark then the bot will win and you can verify this by looking at recent wins and do the math and repeat winners typically win only if it's under this profit margin. This is very cleaver I am watching a 375 bid pack and *unrelenting* has countered every offer since the bidding started. Currently at 3.75, but half of these bids are *unrelenting* so that means bid cactus has bid 135 times for itself. Now in order to win you have to wait it out until the bid minus about half is over the profitable margin. For example (and you watch,before you buy) a $50 gift card is worth 66 bids, now if it is below this you will see the same name winning it. Don't get me wrong they are smart about rotating names. However, I watched nmk6322 continue to bid eventhough they had already won 3 in 24 hours which by their rules you can't win another one for 24 hours so why would this person bid just to not win. Now the interesting thing is this nmk6322 never won again, but was able to force prices up to make a profit and when it looked like he would win another name stepped in *gmann7282* to ensure anyone paying attention wouldn't catch on by reviewing current wins. Anyway if you want to win you must wait until the bids divided by at least 2 equal more than the product is worth and believe me I'm not the only one to figure this out and this is where the true bidding war begins between humans. Personally after wasting $36 I would never do this, if you feel you must at least watch for a day or two then go after it.

trinah
3/15/10

Havent used the site but I have been watching. Everyone is talking about the BBB(Better Business Bureau). I checked it and it got a B+ and it is LLC. it sounds like you really have to be careful but the terms are spelled out clearly on the site which it sounds like most of the complaints did not read. I believe whoever started the site was very smart wish I had the idea

anthonyr3
3/13/10

I UNDERSTAND MANY OF THE COMMENTS ON THIS SITE. BUT FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE. I BECAME A MEMBER OF BIDCACTUS OM MARCH 2
ON MARCH 12 ABOUT 1 AM I WAS NOT ABLE TO BID BECAUSE I REACHED MY WIN LIMIT (14 PRODUCTS AND 16 BID PACKS) I AM UNABLE TO BID UNTIL APRIL 2ND MY FIRST PRIZE WAS A MOTOROLA ADROID SMART PHONE WHICH I WON WITH ONLY 14 BIDS . I HAD 11 BIDS LEFT OVER FROM THE 25 BID PACK I PURCHASED WHEN I REGISTERED. THIS MOTIVATED ME TO BUY THE 250 BID PACK ($187.50) NOW I HAVE 261 BIDS. WITH THAT I WON SEVERAL BID PACKS A 3M MICRO PROJECTOR AND 2 NINTENDO DSI I ALSO WON 110 OTHER PRIZES THAT INCLUDE A SONY BRAVIA 32 INCH TV A LENOVA IDEA PAD ANOTHER DSI A CANON EOS PRO CAMERA A SAMSUNG MP3 , A SAMSUNG DUALVIEW DC AND SEVERAL GIFT CARDS.
I MUST SAY IN THE 10 DAYS I DID SPEND ON SEVERAL BID PACKS BUT I ALSO WON BID PACKS 16 TIMES 3 OF WHICH WERE 500 BID PACKS. I STILL HAVE BIDS AVAILABLE BUT CANT USE THEM UNTIL APRIL. I MADE A VIDEO OF THE FIRST TWO ITEMS I RECIEVED (MY 1ST AND 3RD ITEM)
I RECIEVED MY SECOND AND FOURTH ITEM THE FOLLOWING DAY. IM STILL WAITING FOR 10 ITEMS. I WAS SO HAPPY I WROTE A SONG AND PUT IT ON YOU TUBE SHOWING OFF MY WIN. GO TO "BIDCACTUS" DEALS ON YOU TUBE. IM THE PERSON WITH THE SOMBRERO, GOSTRONG26. IM A WINNER SO FAR ILL KEEP YOU POSTED IF THINGS CHANGE

marjoriem
3/4/10

There are only a small amount of items (l0 maybe?). They ran my debit card twice and said it was not a valid CVV (# on back, I beleve), but the $ was taken out of my account immediately and I did not receive any bid coins (?) that day. mmmmm .......

darlener
3/2/10

This is the first time for me to rate a site but I have read all of the negative reviews and have to answer to those. I became aware of this site by chance in October of last year. I understand that only one person wins an auction but if you do watch the site and figure out who you are bidding against, certain days of the week and times of the day then you can be a winner. Since most of the gift cards that are placed on auction are for places that I buy gas, shop for groceries or eat out at I have been happy. Yes, it can be addicting but so is alcohol, drugs and cigarettes.
I really got excited about the TVs and other items after I won a HP Pavillion dm3-1030us entertainment notebook computer with Windows 7. Had picked up a Belkin wireless router off of Ebay for a very good price and now have the fun of being comfy cozy during this crazy Winter weather and can check my emails and the news while staying warm.
My total cost for the item- $131.92 - 138 bids which at $0.75 per bid is $103.50. There were a total of 804 bids placed so it cost me $8.04 plus $0.48 in taxes and $19.90 in shipping charges. I would consider that a pretty good deal.
I have won over $2200.00 in gift cards. The Visa and American Express cards have come in handy when shopping on line and I am able to pay my internet, phone and TV bill with them. Went shopping at Target with gift cards Sunday evening to buy a TV stand for my new Panasonic Viera 42" Plasma HDTV which with bids, final price, tax and shipping cost me a total of $319.84. Is this site a sham- NO.
Of course you can get greedy and try to bid on several items at one time. Trust me, you lose by doing that. Also do not bid on the large bid packs-lots of people d and end up using more bids to win bids than what they could have won gift cards for Visa or American Express to buy more bids if you want to continue to play.
Well, I hope this helps those who enjoy BidCactus to continue to enjoy this site. I am recommending this site to friends. The guy who just delivered my new RCA L52FHD38 52" LCD HDTV was shocked when he heard that I had won it for less than $112.00 which was 53 bids, $1.40 final cost and $63.00 in Shipping. Wish I had it when the Saints came marching in a few weeks ago since this Louisiana gal would have enjoyed seeing the action on this large screen.
For those that are complaining since they have lost maybe you just need to learn to be a better loser. Lord knows us Southerners have learned to do it with grace over many long years but we sure showed the world what a Winner is.

katherineg
3/1/10

it is gambling pure and simple. I wasted too much money on this. Would be cheaper to go to the casino.

bessied
2/27/10

Like the reviews I have read I had to try it myself. i just lost $168 in bids that is over225 bids that I bid at the going going gone moment only to be outbid by the same bidders. I watched carnut whatever his numer was at the end bid over 85 times on a 75 bid package. there are always tons of fools just like myself who get suckered into parting with thier money hoping to be the lucky one. I am asking you to please reconsider before you would waste youur money on one of these penny auction sites.

$

dianeh
2/21/10

I know I'm in the minority here, but I love this site. I got several gift cards for only a couple of bids each. $50 Visa final price .44, and $50 Best Buy final price .46. And I didn't bid but a few times each. For the 18.50 I got $100 in cards. Not bad I'd say.

gc
2/18/10

This is a scam site. They have an indefinite ending time on their auctions. First, you have to pay almost $20 for 25 bids, which is unrefundable. Then you'll bid w/ 1 second left, and then all of a sudden the auction will increase time to 15-30 seconds so the auction will keep going. There is always one person that will keep bidding on it to keep it going, and that person's prob been hired by the auction to make sure to not lose the product, but get your $20+. When you call them, they tell you it was in their terms. It is a scam. Do not fall for it. You'll spend so much money on bids cause you think there's only 1 second left, but the shady guys at Bidcactus will ensure that they'll suck you dry of all your money cause that auction WILL NEVER END!!!

shawnb
2/17/10

This website is obviously a scam. As always, if it sounds too good to be true then by God it probably is. Therefore, I joined the site and chose not to purchase anything from them but rather chose to sit and watch the activity. I noticed that the same bidders were actively bidding on many of the items every other night. I suspect that the scam goes something like the following:

You purchase bids in blocks of 25 to 500 for 75 cents each bid so 50 bids would be $37.50.

You then use your bids to bid on things that look cheap. For instance a $100 Home Depot gift card for $3. But wait because you paid 75 cents for one bid and it only raised the price by 1 cents (on a penny auction). Therefore if the auction price was $3 then you would multiply .75 cents X 300 which would = $225.00.

Each time you bid on an item, one bid will be deducted from your account and the auction price will increase by $0.10 (or $0.01 for penny auctions).

The main problem that I found was that many of the items were allegedly going for many more times than the face value of the item.
In other words I would see a $100 Home Depot card go for $225 using the mathematical method above that the website has you go by to figure out what is being paid for an item.
Not only that but the website is obviously bidding against you. How do we figure this out. It is simple, who in their right mind is going to pay $225 for a $100 Home Depot gift card when you could just go to Home Depots website or store and buy one for face value (dollar for dollar)?

The website is clearly hoping that you will just trust it and don't you worry your little head with all these numbers (that they obviously skewed so that it would confuse you) but trust us your getting a good deal. You have to be getting a good deal because you just bought a $100 gift card for $3, right? Nope, you didn't. I doubt the website even lets anyone win the auction but instead just keeps raising the bid with aa fake bidder until you figure out that you are being ripped off and stop bidding.

You have to ask yourself, what was the purpose in this website selling you bids in order to bid on an item instead of just letting you bid on an item, and paying a closing auction fee after the auction is over. The answer is clearly that they are after all your money or at least as much as they can get from you before you realize they are swindling you out of your money.

Conclusion: Stay away from this website and others like it.
Research written reviews before you jump into anything head first on the internet offering something that appears to be too good to be true.

wendyf1
2/9/10

Wow! I wish I had read these reviews before losing my $18.75. Penny auctions sound like such a great deal, but when you add up the 0.75 plus the penny you will pay each time you hit bid you're not getting a good deal. Plus every time you bid more time is added to the auction time. After sitting for quite some time and watching auctions that I thought would be ending I went through all my bids and have nothing to show for it but my own stupidity. I bought into this hook, line, and sinker. I hope this review can help save someone from the same mistake. Stick with ebay. At least those auctions end when they say they will, and you actually stand a chance of winning something at a decent price!

savannahm
2/9/10

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO LEFT A REVIEW. I FOUND OUT ABOUT THIS WEBSITE THROUGH "MY POINTS" AND DECIDED TO DO SOME RESEARCH FIRST. WHEN IT LOOKS TO GOOD IT USUALLY IS.

robertt1
2/9/10

I love this site! I buy a 50 bid pack and win something every time, last night I won a Wal-Mart $100 Gift card for 10 bids plus 2.38 and shipping of $5.99. The next 40 bids were unsuccessful in winning the next auction because I ran out. The trick is to think of times when the site will be the slowest (i.e. during the superbowl) and let the crazy bidders bid up the item and I only bid when the screen says going, GONE" right on the GONE I bid.

This site is not for everyone, clearly. If you are not a gambler you may want to avaoid this site.

bobs6
2/8/10

I watched an auction on this site. It was for a $299.00 sony e-reader. I watched 2 bidders bid this item all the way up to nearly $40.00(before I finally at to quit watching, but it was still going) at a penny a bid, and a bid costs $.75. That comes out to $3000.00 for a $300 item. It was only the two bidders bidding the whole time. Can anyone explain this to me? I have watched many other auctions with simular craziness. This is insanity! For you out there who are naive about this stuff, I'd stay away, far away from this site. Those of you that are using this site, Id recomend getting some help. This site is definately a SCAM if you think you are coming here to get some good deals. You will not!

maryf
1/29/10

Hey, guys! Do NOT waste your money on any of these auction sites which don't have the Buy-It-Now option. This options allows a bidder to purchase the product they had bid on for the RETAIL PRICE stated on the auction MINUS the $$ spent on your bids! Bid Cactus does NOT offer that so only ONE bidder can leave without feeling scammed! Neither does Bidfire.com... Two that DO are Bidazzled (which also raises money for a charity, so the bids cost more) and Quibids.com

carmenm
1/27/10

BidCactus is not a scam. I have bid and won many items and gift cards on this site. And I have received everything I won.

The people who run this establishment are friendly, courteous and legitimate. I had a few minor problems, but all I had to do was call them and they straightened everything out to my satisfaction and in my favor.

Also, the products they offer are not the cheapest quality...they have some decent things on there and it is like anything else, you are taking a chance on bidding on the items you want.

Also, I would like to commend these people because they give back to charities. They have offered items where they take part of the money and give to charities such as the Cancer Society, Food Banks, and now they are donating to Haiti.

I think this is a legitimate business for these people and they work hard to keep this site upstanding.

Carmen Marks

jessicac
1/27/10

SCAM!!! SCAM!!! SCAM!!! All auctions were ending as you see... a dollar and change or just pennies, as advertiesed. I bought a bid pack and started bidding on a 500 bid pack... previously had (supposedly) sold for about 6.50... went through my $18.50 in bids and the auction was at about 12.00. I thought it must be ending soon so I bought another bid pack trying to recoup. Auction ended at over 26.00 and I was not the winner. Tried two other auctions for smaller bid packs that has previously ended at just over 1.00..... the bids got over $5.00 both times... I couldn't even win more of their stupid bids and I am out $75.00.

halldorl
1/23/10

One arm Bandit with no winnings I lost $37.50

mikev1
1/21/10

it is so funny to read all the comments right here for all this guys who don't know how to win and hate to loose.
first point= it is truth that is not a real auction place like ebay or others.
is all about gambling we already know.
but i don't know why everyone is so interested about how much money they are making. who cares, are you jealous cause you didn't have the idea?
second point= everything has a learning courve and you need to know how to play the game to win.
third=i see that people are not enough smart to play in this kind of websites
4th=everyone cares about they selling a tv that cost $500 for $1200
5th= you have to look the things this way. a tv that goes out for $5.35 + shipping = $46.35, really nice price, wow!!!
the truth is that the tv is going out for a real prize of $447,
but don't be stupid you are not paying that money.
let say that there was 535 bids on the item so it means that by the penny it's $5.35 total prize = shipping and you did 30 bids on the item and you won it
you have spend a total of

30 bids, o.75 each= $22.5 + $5.35 final sale + $40 shipping = $67.85
and no matter how much they made if it was $400 or $800
at the end you are just paying $68 dollar in a $500 tv and you are saving
$432 compared if you were buying the tv in a store.

everyone has to make money, so stop thinking about how much they are making and think about yourself like a person who doesn't know how to play and loose.

so watch the site carefully and wait for the right moment. you can win too,
just use your brain.

but is the same in vegas, lol i heard the same story thousand of times when people loose their money they star to say that is all a scam. poor guys
for 1 person wining there is 1000 loosing and that is what it is.
so take your time to find out how to play in this site bidcactus, even the name is warning you, lol be careful don't hurt yourself. like touchin a cactus.
i know there is smart guys out there and at the end they will know how to win just like me, but i must say i don't win all the time but grab a calculator and star to do you home work and you will see at the end that it woth it all

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the BidCactus staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Okay, I see that to get started you purchase bids @ 75 cents each in packet form. My questions is..do they then bill your credit card additional charges for the bids? Since you can bid on bid packages and save money on initial charges it looks like it could work. I've read all the comments that this site is a scam, I'm just trying to get all the info I can before I make up my own mind.
4/10/10
Answer
tennieg
A: I was charged 18.75 for two day in a row!!! I NEVER HEARD OF THIS SITE!!!!!!! THIS SITE SHOULD & WILL BE REMOVED IF I HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT,& BELEIVE YOU ME BY TOMORROW!!!!!! THEY MESSED WITH THE WRONG PERSON THIS TIME; Senator Durbin, O'BAMA OUR GOVENER & THE ATTORNEY GENERAL ARE WELL KNOWN BY ME. IT WILL STOP NOW!!!!!!!!
1/18/10
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the BidCactus staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

BidCactus?