US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

leslieq2

Belk's deals on shoes are OK, but I'm not a huge fan of their customer service. (in 24 reviews)

sarahc14

I tried for a week (no exageration) to place a large order. (in 41 reviews)

annar25

Their items, the layout, and the customer service representatives. (in 15 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

yingl1
5/10/16

they are advertising the sales on their website. so I have placed several orders on their website for my business. they confirmed the orders. then in few days they canceled them all. I called the customer service. their answer was they are all cosmetics, so their vendor does not allow me to purchase so many. so many??? four different items!! if your company can't afford a sale. then don't even run one! that's so pitiful !

kloii
4/22/16

I bought 4 items online because they were out of stock for a particular item I needed for a wedding. I get my items in the mail within a few days which is awesome but of course the item i needed for the wedding was in the wrong color. I called immediately and said they would get everything taken care of and send me the correct color. Two weeks has gone by now and they just YESTERDAY put it in to expedite the process. I called on four different occasions and asked for them to email or call me after getting some type of update. I never received anything. I love Belk and shop there all the time but will never order anything online again. This is absolutely ridiculous and HORRIBLE customer service.

ashleyh79
3/24/16

Last night I purchased a luggage set on sale and the first time I tried to order it, it said my card did not go through. I tried again, and it didn't work. So I tried one more time finally it went through. I got an email saying my order was placed. The next morning I get an email saying it was canceled and little did I know it was out of stock! They charged my card 3 times and failed to tell me the item was out of stock! Terrible service.

shirleyb57
2/12/16

I love the stuff,got some cute stuff cheap...ship was ok too.

stevenb115
1/25/16

Purchased a nutcracker online and recieved it in a box 4 times it size damaged in 6 pieces and now received another nutcracker in the mail damaged as well. Very poor packing even an infant could do a better packing job.

roxannet4
12/29/15

I placed an order with them on 12/27/15 and then I checked my account on 12/28/15 and I was charged again. I called to ask them why and they said it was my bank and I said no boo boo it is you. They charge when you make the order and then when the ordered is processed and shipped they charge again. I told them I shop at Nordstroms, Macy's and Bloomingdales's and I have never ever been double charged. They say the first charge will fall off after the standard 5 to 7 days. What if checks are coming in and what if you need the money?
I asked them well why doesn't your website make people aware of this before they order. Ummmmmmm dead air. Buyer beware!!!!!!

krisj14

sharonc68
12/18/15

Ordered a shirt from Belk, took a week to get shipped. Took another three days to get picked up by fedex. Another two weeks later the tracking simply stopped. Package never arrived. Called multiple times to Belk's customer service & repeatedly was told different policies. I gave up & requested a refund. This was never offered to me. Don't order from Belk unless you want headaches & hassles!

olliem40
12/9/15

I ordered two pair of boots on Black Friday, my order was submitted. I received an email stating that my order had been received and processed. A few days later I received one box of boots and they were not the ones I had ordered. The mailing address was correct but the invoice was not. They were the wrong boots and the wrong size. I called customer service to see what could be done, all they could do was credit my account . I asked if they could contact the lady who ordered the boots that I have and to see if she had the ones I ordered. As of today I have not heard from customer service regarding this matter. I am sure this lady would like to get her boots just like I would like to get mine. They are sending me a return label to send the boots back . I am sending them back to Belk and I hope they can send them to her.

gwent6
12/3/15

My daughter was given a coat as a gift. It did not fit and we do not have a Belk's in our state. They told me they would forward my request to upper management and I would hear back from them in 24-48 hours, I still have not hear back from them 23 days later. Nice coat, but bad customer service.

jims156
11/6/15

Belk sux. Don't use Belk online

nicoles100
11/4/15

m only giving 1 star as I have to pick a star in order to post. I am very disappointed in the customer service I received today at Belk. My one and only reason for going there today was, my shoe broke and I desperately needed shoes prior to my meeting this afternoon. I was in the department for about 20 minutes before my friend went to grab someone to help us. Once she did I by the sales associate that she just got there and this is not her department. " they just threw me in this department."

When I had asked for my size, it seemed as if I was putting her out. by the end, I chose 2 pair of shoes and asked her to call customer service to get my card number as I don't normally keep my card on me. She was unable to locate it by my phone number, then that is when the sales assistant called customer service where they were able to pull my account by the number.

they charged my card, once I realized that the ones she charged to my card were the incorrect shoes. I asked them not to return on my card as I was almost at my limit from spending too much smile emoticon at their stores.

they ended up returning the shoes on my card and telling me my card cannot be charged as its over the limit. REALLY? I mean really I just told you this. I have several CC's however I wanted my Belk rewards.

during this time the sales associate told me over and over again she does not work in that department and that she just got there. Constant excuses and the whole experience was stressful. Needless to say I was late to my meeting, this never happens. I had no choice I needed a pair of shoes.
I wasted an hour and 20 minutes of my life that I will never get.. I am strongly thinking of cancelling my card and going else where for my needs.
not one apology

radhikap1
10/21/15

We purchased using credit card and forgot to pay immediately, we haven't recieved any reminder or mail for 3 months but we were fined and the amount became twice our purchase.
We also have a JC penny credit card and we recieve a mail if ever we miss a payment within 2 weeks reminding our last date.When we called the customer service they said our address was falsely noted which is ridiculous, they are just robbing our hard earned 120$$. I hate Belk beware of this scam.

patb59
9/1/15

belk treats its employees terrible especially sales associates

nicholep
7/29/15

We have ordered a total of 4 pairs of jeans, one was fine, second pair had a hole in the pocket( customer control issue) returned after having driven 30 minutes ordered a replacement pair to find out my order was not in stock, after ordering the last pair received today 7-29-15 I first noticed no tags and paperwork stuck to them, after holding them up you could clearly tell they where used and worn. I proceeded to contact customer service and all he could say is return them to the store 30 minutes from my home!!!!! Are you serious. Well belk you just lost another loyal customers.

virginiar9
7/24/15

Belk is lucky to have such a on top of everything employee like Alex Jones is. I came into the store to shop and I use a cane right now. I could not find a cart and shopping is not easy for me without cart. He dropped everything, asked if he could help me and quickly found me a cart to use. He is very personable, friendly and helpful and all Belk employees could learn something from the way he does his job.

tw213
6/17/15

I wish I would have looked at the reviews here before I ordered from Belks. I've never heard of a company that charges the whole amount of your order, then charges again when the order is shipped, claiming that one charge will be dropped.

Shame on you, Belks! The banks don't recognize your questionable accounting practices as the entire amount (2x!) is charged before merchandise even arrives. In the meantime, I hope I actually receive my merchandise.

megt
6/9/15

Most businesses let you know if an item is in stock online. Once availability has been confirmed you proceed with your order and expect within 1 to 2 business days to receive an email for tracking confirmation that the shipment is on its way. Well that is most companies with the exception of Belk.com. On more than one occasion I placed an order and waited for delivery information but then about a week later I get an email that my order has been canceled and I was not charged because the item was not in stock? There seems to be some disconnect between the process Belk uses for updating their perpetual inventory and what is shown to consumers online. I'm an elite card holder and never have I seen a process so dysfunctional. If you're truly in need of an item, Belk.com should be your last resort.

dt40
6/2/15

We shop at Belk often and have no complaints about the store or the employees. The complaint is about the website to pay online and to actually get a person on the phone to assist you is nearly impossible.
I'm very close to discontinue the use of my Belk credit card.

juliah33
5/26/15

They should be called "bilk".

greyg
5/21/15

After reading the many reviews about customer's debit/credit cards being double and triple charged, I've decided to take my business elsewhere (& also where PayPal is offered at checkout). This is UNACCEPTABLE Belk!

laurenl21
4/21/15

I placed an order yesterday from Belk.com. My order came up to $188 and some odd cents. Look at my bank account and the funds were held. Ok, so far, so good. Today I recieved an email saying my items had been shipped, but they were shipped separately. Ok, that's fine. Checked my bank online again, and they had charged me again for part of the order that was shipped. Huh? So I'm looking at the full amount, then part of the amount, both pending on my account. So I called Belk.com, and they told me this is standard procedure. They first hold the funds, then when they ship, they charge for the merchandise. Which in turn, pending 2 separate charges on my bank account. Now, this particular account, I use solely for buying clothes, makeup, shoes, ect. So this extra pending charge, put my account in the negative, which I have to pay overdraft fees for

I understand this charge will drop off in a few days, but still unacceptable. I shop online all the time, and this is the FIRST time a company did this. They either need to charge me at the time of service, or waiting to charge when they ship. Not both. The manager tried to blame the bank. No, it's you Belk. Not them! I will never buy from Belk again.

tjskst
3/26/15

Tryed to buy a pair of shoes. Credit card details "did not match" so transaction was declined. Website requested my phone number so they could contact me further.No call or email confirmation recievd regarding any purchase. Checked my acccount I had one strange deposit of $55 for the shoes, then 3x consecutive withdrawals for $55. Spoke to the bank, sounds like a scam where they deposit onto the card to make sure the card is legit then take what they can out of your card. Dont do it!!

douglasv3
3/20/15

Everyone that I know and ive experienced it myself says the store is so HOT they have to stop shopping and leave ! They become so hot in the store that we cant wait to get out of there! My sister has had a lot of things to purchase but has had to leave them and go home she got so hot and sick! Its so stupid to have our stores here temperature controlled by someone in another state! Our temps are so different than other states! Just keep it up if you want to lose all your businesx! We will be traveling to Birminhgam to shop at other stores and not Belks

lisak56
3/1/15

Tried to order and when I entered my card info, it would not accept it saying that there was a problem with the highlighted area. All info was correct and NOTHING was highlighted!!!
They just lost a nice big order!

memberh
2/2/15

This was my second time to shop on Belk.com. I usually go to the actual store since there are several around my area. First time ordering from the website, I had no problem and was super happy with the order. This time, not so much. I ordered $110 worth of items (to get free shipping on the order over $100), one item was canceled (which also happens sometimes with other companies), and I was actually charged more! With the canceled item being taken out, I should have been charged $99, but instead, I was charged a total amount of $150 in 3 separate transactions! It gets even better. The other 2 charges were completely random numbers, no where to be found on my order history! I'll call customer service tomorrow but from what the reviews said, I don't think I'll have much luck. Stay away from Belk.com!

annm65
1/10/15

I was a seasonal employees at belk here in McDonough GA. They told me that they would keep me until the 12th of January which I did agree to. But they did not put me on the schedule, other people that was hired the same time has me they give them hours, it's not fair because they hired you with all assurance that they will let you work until the 12th.. I am dissatisfied with the way they do business the Manager said you have to sell at least 1 credit card a week , if you don't they will let you go or drop your wages. I don't think that belk should force they're costumers to take out a credit card they don't need. It's unfair.. All I can say belk is not a nice place to work, some of the employees at this same store are not friendly..i would never work for them again....un satisfied employees...

chrish130
12/23/14

I ordered polo blue sport cologne on the first of December, and just received the cologne today on December 23rd and it was polo sport. the wrong cologne, and when I called them to fix it. They told me they would send me a return sticker and they would overnight the correct cologne to me. then they said that they were out of the product and would not get any more of it in. Then they said they would return the money to my credit card, but it would take 4 to 6 days. I have two days to buy another Christmas present and don't have the money to buy one now. There is no reason that it should take 3 weeks to get an order and then have it be wrong. I will never order from this site again, and I will make sure no one I know orders from here as well.

Tip for consumers: Dont order from here if you only have a short time to get it.

jenniferm93
12/14/14

I ordered on Thanksgiving to get good deals. It took 4 hours due to items running out before we could finish. I received an order confirmation, so I did not feel I needed to track their every move. As time went by and my over $200.00 order did not arrive, I called them. Their answer
"we cancelled it because some items were now out of stock" REALLY?? You could email or call me to see if I wanted the other items. No apology, no offer to find a similar item. BELK is a think of the past for me!!!! I do all my ordering online and they are by far the worst!!

bettye9
12/6/14

Website says free shipping on $75. or above My order is $77.46. They keep telling me shipping charges will fall off when added to charge card. I guess they thought it would not be noticed by dividing it into two departments. Will take my business to Dillards. I'm tired of being lied to and scammed. Think twice before buying from Belk online.. .

bamag
11/29/14

Placed two orders online using debit card. First order was $140, second was $68. Checked bank account late wed night before thanksgiving and noticed two more charges from Belk for $103 and $15. So of course I'm upset thinking someone has hacked my account. Called my bank and all they couldn't tell me anything except the charges were from Belk.com. Spent an anxious thanksgiving worried until Belk customer serviced opened day after thanksgiving. I was then told by customer service that the charges are a hold they put on all debt cards until all items ship. Then hold will be removed 3 to 5 days later. What??? Why isn't this stated on website when you checkout? Online buyers beware!!

amberg15
10/19/14

Why does Belk charge a $9.50 delivery fee for one item being shipped standardly? This is a little high compared to most other sites.

glorias13
10/15/14

THEY NEVER HONOR THE COUPONS YOU GET WITH YOUR BILL OR IN THE EMAIL! EVERYTIME I TRY THEY HAVE SOME EXCUSE ON NOT BEING ABLE TO USE!!! EVEN THE ONE DAY PASS I GET IN MY BILL! A CLERK WENT AS FAR AS TELLING ME I WAS TRYING TO DOUBLE DIP BECAUSE AN ITEM WAS ALREADY ON SALE!!!! I GUESS I'LL STICK TO BEALL'S ALL THE COUPONS THEY SENT I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO USE EVEN IF IT'S A CLEARANCE!!!!

augustap
10/13/14

I gave Belk Customer Service a call today and I was pleasantly surprised how quickly I got a hold of a 'real' person who spoke fluent English. The representative I spoke with was very polite and resolved my issue promptly. Overall, I am impressed with the service I recieved.

kimberlyp13
9/19/14

I'm not sure where all these bad reviews are coming from. But I have been a recent shopper of Belk. To be quite honest I live in LA, and have never heard of Belk. I ordered cosmetics from there site and ordered 6 different times within a span of 3 days. I received confirmation for all my orders and all orders were either shipped that day or next business day. I was only billed once for each order. This company ships fast and they only bill once. I really do like this site and would recommend this site to anyone looking to purchase cosmetics. BTW, with cosmetics there is no minimum for free shipping, that is why I was able to order 6 different times with no shipping costs. I did experience a bug, only once where in my shopping cart the checkout button was missing. But that was easily fixed, I just used a different browser. The issues was probably with my cookies in the same browser I used to place my other orders.

Other than that. This company ships fast and I did not experience getting ripped off. It sounds like impatient user error.

Tip for consumers: Please remember when you click on the purchase button, to just click once. It takes a few seconds for their system to register your order and process it. Great company and fast shipping!

rebeccaf9
9/1/14

Belks website would not let me even order. I couldn't even put in card number. So I too called and order. They charged me three times and said I was declined. This is why I shop at macys. First time at belk and they mess up my world. ( lancome) made me do it. So I call her back and she says there is no order it declined me, so why three charges. "Oh. It will drop off in 48hrs". Yeah right. She also said website not messed up. You need to use Google chrome. Really@!#/&&*(() £%÷×@$/.

madisonm22
8/30/14

Same thing happened to me @Erica complaint.
I will be calling corporate Tues,BBB & my bank tomorrow.Just got off the phone with customer service & they claim the hold should fall off. I shop online all the time,never had a company place a hold then charge you again as items ship. Meaning a $100 order has $200 being held.Not to mention coming from different warehouses.Companies charge up front or don't charge me until it actually ships.This was my 1st encounter & last with belk.com.I will be filing a claim with my bank if it doesn't come off.Then the order delivery date has the audacity to be 2 weeks.Site seems like a scam to me.

Tip for consumers: Do not shop at belk.com!!!

patricej1
8/13/14

website not working you can only look at one page when you try going to the second place it goes back to the main screen, have been that way for a couple of weeks 8/13/2014

lilliea6
6/28/14

Bought wedding gift and took it to customer service for gift wrapping. They were out of two of the four choices of paper. I waited 35 minutes for a wrap job I could have done better myself. The paper was wrapped around crooked making the stripes look weird. Then she folded the paper on the wide sides instead of the narrow ends making it look trashy. She did this pitiful attempt while answering and transferring calls, as well as, chatting with each and every employee who meandered back for a chat. I won't sit for this again!!

ericac5
6/12/14

I am soooooo disgusted with this company. Out of all my years of shopping online this is by far the worst experience ever. I placed an order on line that came to a total of $250, which was charged on my debit card. Then I was notified by email that my items will be shipped out in four different orders. Something told me to look at my banking statement only to find out the BELK CHARGED MY DEBIT CARD FIVE SEPERATE TIMES. THEY DOUBLE CHARGED ME!! They charged me the initial amount of $250 for my entire purchase, and then they charged me again for each order that shipped out. This is a total of $500 of my money that they got tied up in my account. Either you charge first and then ship out the items, or you charge as the items are shipped out individually. COMMON SENSE WILL TELL YOU THAT YOU DO NOT DO BOTH. This company is a scam. Customer service claim that they can not directly help you with the problem. It has to go to corporate and of course they don't have a contact number. I WILL NOT RECOMMEND anyone to take a chance with their money by shopping online with this company. They can not get another kibble from me.

jacquelinem4
5/1/14

i love it its awsomeeeeeeeeeeeee it got here right on time when they said it was going to be here and it looks way better than the picture totally recommended

marilyns10
3/23/14

Why does the Belk web site not show the local store availability of item and size you are interested in? Macy's, Nordstrom, Banana Republic etc do. I do not want to pay the delivery fee for an item that may be at my local Belk store. When I attempt to call the local store regarding an item I saw on line, I am always transferred to the wrong department or no one answers the phone. Customer service and communication needs much improvement.

elvirav
2/8/14

I noticed that people put negative review have only one review... Looks sketchy since many say they order all the time... So no other place gives them bad or good experience?!

Any way, ordered Guess boots, got 15% off for singing up for their email and shipping was free for orders over $99. The item came in new condition, as described! Would definitely order again.

PS I had problems while ordering in the begging because I found d a coupon code and when I put place an order it said there is a mistake, please review your order....So I called customer service and they said that the coupon that I found online is for customers that had bell credit card. Once I used a coupon for new customers that is not tied totheir credit card, the order went through fast and was shipped and delivered fast.

robinc24
2/6/14

Trying to place order. Says there is a problem and to see highlighted area. There is not a highlighted area and my credit card info is correct. Aggravating. I'm not calling.....no order from me. Looks like others have the same experience with this site.

gingerm1
1/19/14

I ordered a Free People dress in October(2013) that I wanted for an upcoming trip and event. I found it for $61 cheaper on Belk. I debated doing the regular shipping, or paying for the 2 day, since I needed it in 7 days, and I believe the site said expect 7-10 business days (please confirm that on your own, for your own orders!). I was definitely taking a risk, and realized I would have to go without the dress if it didn't arrive within those 7 days. Would have been sad and would have had to figure out another option when I arrived at my travel destination... Not the end of the world, but would have taken away time from my traveling, and would have been logistically tricky to get to some stores to find something appropriate to wear for this event. Well, I received my dress in the late afternoon of that 7th day... I had been holding my breath, and was shocked it actually came in time! I was SO thankful-- for the quick processing, delivery, and for the savings. Dress worked out perfectly. If it came in the 10 days, I would have been bummed and returned it, but would still order from Belk again for the prices, since the order was still delivered as promised(7-10 business days).

markc78
1/14/14

I tried four times to purchase online. I re-entered a credit card number I use every day for online purchases, and a debit card for my checking account. Each time the card was rejected, however a hold was placed on both accounts, for a total of $850. I called the store and they were able to place the order over the phone. They would not, however, remove the holds on my accounts.

I would have abandoned this order and store, but it was where my nephew registered for his wedding. If you need to order from them, do not use their web site, call on the phone.

samr34
1/13/14

Absolutely horrible experience! I placed a $100+ order for containers in December. Days later, I received the wrong items (different sizes than I had ordered). I called the company up to inform them that I received incorrect items. They arranged for FedEx to have the items picked up from my home and said the items I did order were in stock and I would receive those once the return was received. I received the replacement order only to find the same exact Incorrect order (yes, I double checked-these were not the items I had ordered). I called the company again to let them know that they made the same mistake twice. They said that I would receive a call from their warehouse to let me know if the items were in stock and I agreed to try this again. Well, a few days later I called them back and said I still haven't heard from anyone and asked if I could get these incorrect items picked up (They never sent the info to fedex to get this 2nd order picked up!). Person said I had to wait for the warehouse call. I called them again after I waited over a week with no phone call and they said that they no longer have the item (even though it shows they do on their site) and that they will issue a refund once they receive the incorrect items from FedEx. They said the request to Fedex just went out yesterday (Uhm, yesterday? I called 5 days ago to make sure the request was put in!). Needless to say I will never shop on this website again. Very unprofessional and bad follow-up with customers. How can you get an order wrong TWICE?! And then not call your customer to let them know that they don't have it and that they'd be getting a refund instead? I should not have had to call this company as many times as I did, they should have reached out to me and informed me of their mistakes and apologized. Bad business. It's been over a month from my original order and I never received my items or my refund. Don't bother shopping on this site.

joshp21
12/28/13

I was sent gifts for my wife and child through this website. The order contained five items, which arrived in four packages on three different days. Ridiculous.

Return process is far from the "easy returns" process they describe, especially if you lose one of the four packing slips. The return also goes back on the gift givers credit card: an additional hassle to explain why I didn't want the gift.

brianb81
12/24/13

numerous attempts to place an order were unsuccessful
I can't believe this company didn't fix their website after their Black Thursday debacle
but they obviously haven't
oh well
a couple hundred dollars goes to their competitors

susanb46
12/23/13

I placed an order at Belk online on 12/3/13 and my credit card was charged on 12/6/13. Today is 12/23/13 and I am still waiting. I have called 4 times and each time been assured my order will ship shortly, 2 times I was told it would be shipped with over night shipping. On 12/19/13I was told that it was being given high priority and today told that they were waiting to hear back from some office. Probably last time I will be ordering from Belk. This is the first time I have ever written a review od a company online.

5 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Belk staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
1 month ago
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
10/25/15
Answer
krisj14
A: ordered two items from belk.com for different persons. they sent the wrong item to the wrong person and then made me pay for it. all they did was agree to let me order a new item for the right person at a discount.
Helpful answer